Sunday, June 1, 2008

Welcome!

This blog was created to give me a place to record my training notes and discoveries as I get in shape for my first sprint distance triathlon. I hope that it may also encourage others to reach beyond what they thought was possible. For a long time I wasn't interested in triathlons, but this Memorial day weekend after watching my mother complete her first Olympic length triathlon I really wanted to see if I had it in me to swim, cycle and run to the finish line.

Base fitness:
After I left high school sports behind I pretty much quit exercising. About three years ago I discovered Pilates, but never pursued it beyond a 20 min moderate program. Pilates helped me with my co-ordination and flexibility. However, I was still looking for a way to increase my cardio-vascular health. Late Feb of 2008 I got a recumbent exercise bike. I slowly worked up from 20 minutes at low resistance to 40 min. a day of moderate interval training. MWF 40 min of intervals at a moderate setting + 20 min of moderate Pilates. T-Th 40 mod interval on the bike.

Training Plan:
Right now I have 14 weeks to train for my first race, The Palouse Sprint Triathlon on Sept. 6th, 2008. I am using advice from The Complete Triathlon Book and beginnertriathlete.com.
I am going to follow the “couch to Sprint” plans given by these sources (each gives a slightly different plan) modifying them to fit in with my summer travel and my developing (ha, ha, nearly non-existent) fitness.

I have no background in swimming, cycling or running beyond the basics that most kids learn, so this will be an adventure!

No comments: