Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Week 1: 6/2-6/7

Monday
Scheduled: 20 min run
Done: 19 min run on the beach (yeah!). Running was much easier on the hard pack sand than on the trail. I used gmap pedometer to figure out that I ran a little more than 1.5 miles. Yikes! I thought that I couldn't get any slower than my 11 minute miles from the good old days... I think I could have gone longer, but I'm following my book and working my way up slowly so my joints have time to acclimate.

Tuesday
Scheduled: 30 min bike
Done: 40 min on the exercises bike at moderate intensity intervals. I think I'm feeling tired from the run yesterday, but not sore like last time! I haven't gotten out on my "real" bike yet because I haven't had a chance to buy a new saddle for it yet.

Wednesday
Scheduled: 20 min swim
Done: (the summary) 20 min beach run, approx 10 min miles
(The whole story) Well I've been waiting for my swim cap and goggles to come. It has been forever since I've been swimming and I certainly wasn't going to get anywhere without the goggles. They came today, but too late for morning lap swim.... so instead I did another 20 minute run on the beach. I know that isn't optimal in terms of recovery, but hey, you gotta start somewhere. Today I also decided to open it up a little. I've been holding back because in my mind exercise=a strong feeling of imminent suffocation. Now I'm learning that I want to train under my max oxygen use most of the time (imagine that!). So I've been aiming for a very sustainable pace. I think today I struck a good balance between aerobic intensity and my natural stride rhythm. I was moving faster and looser but still able to keep it up.

Thursday
Unscheduled rest day. Well, my training book said to listen to one's body... and my body was clearly stating that unless I had a nap I was probably unsafe to drive. So yes... therapeutic napping... all part of my triathlon strategy...

Friday
15 minutes in the pool. That includes the panting while clinging to the side, the pathetic side stroke... the attempt at backstroke and three lengths of freestyle (which, if the claim to an "Olympic sized" swimming pool is correct would be 150 meters). Oh, boy do I have a long way to go when it comes to swimming. The good news is that all my new gear - silicone ear plugs, goggles, swimming cap - worked great and allowed me to focus much better. My new book Total Immersion also arrived today. My plan is to use the evening free swims at the local pool to start with the floating drills and then work my way up to actual swimming. Clearly I have nothing to lose by trying to improve my technique.

Saturday
30 minute bike ride

No comments: